REBELS TARGET MEDIA IN EASTERN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
June 3, 2004 12:00 PM ET
Kinshasa, June 3, 2004—Rebel forces that took control of the town of Bukavu, in eastern DRC, on Wednesday have threatened and attacked the town's three main community radio stations, forcing them off the air, according to the local press freedom group Journaliste en Danger (JED) and other local sources.
Joseph Nkinzo, director of the radio station Sauti ya Rehema (Voice of Mercy), narrowly escaped an assassination attempt this morning, when rebels came looking for him and murdered his younger brother. The rebels arrived at the journalist's home, smashed windows, and demanded to know where Nkinzo was. Believing that Nkinzo's brother was the journalist, the rebels killed him and looted the house.
Ben Kabamba, director of Radio Maria; Kizito Mushizi, director of Radio Maendeleo; and Nkinzo had been receiving death threats by telephone since May 29. CPJ sources say the rebels began hunting for the three station directors shortly after taking the town on Wednesday morning.
All three stations stopped broadcasting to protect their staff. Rebel forces broke windows and stole equipment from Radio Maria. Also on Wednesday, rebels seized communications equipment from a guard at Radio Maendeleo and forced their way into the studio, but no one was there.
Nkinzo and Mushizi took refuge at the U.N. compound in Bukavu today.
Radio Okapi, a joint project of the U.N. mission in DRC and the Switzerland-based Hirondelle Foundation, is the only radio station in Bukavu whose broadcasts continued uninterrupted. Radio Okapi broadcasts from the U.N. compound.
Two groups of pro-Rwanda rebels in the east joined forces to take Bukavu on Wednesday because of tensions over a new integrated national army a new governor appointed in Bukavu by the transitional government in Kinshasa, according to international news sources. Anti-U.N. protests erupted yesterday in Kinshasa and other cities, with demonstrators blaming U.N. peacekeepers in Bukavu for failing to defend the city.
On Wednesday morning, Serge Maheshe, a journalist with Radio Okapi, received phone calls from presumably anti-rebel individuals who threatened to "deal" with him because they said he worked for the United Nations, which the callers said had "sold Bukavu out."
Sources in Bukavu told CPJ that on Thursday afternoon, rebels forced journalists from the local studio of the national radio station RTNC back on air and were dictating the content of broadcasts.
Congolese journalist jailed for one year for insulting governor
March 14, 2019 2:55 PM ET
Cape Town, March 14, 2019 -- Authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo should not oppose journalist Steeve Mwanyo Iwewe's appeal of a year-long prison sentence for insulting a provincial governor, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
DRC authorities cut internet and broadcast signals after election
January 3, 2019 3:30 PM ET
New York, January 3, 2019--Authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo should immediately take steps to ensure citizens have access to the internet and news outlets as the country awaits the results of its election, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. The government has cut access to internet...
DRC newspaper editor detained for criminal defamation
October 12, 2018 6:19 PM ET
Goma, October 12, 2018--Authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo should immediately release Sylvanie Kiaku, editor of the privately owned weekly newspaper La Percée, who was arrested on October 10 in the capital, Kinshasa, and drop charges of criminal defamation against her, the Committee to Protect Journalists said...
Goma, September 14, 2018--Authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo should immediately release Tharcisse Zongia, editor-in-chief of the satirical weekly Grognon, who was jailed on September 6 in Kinshasa for criminal defamation, and take action to abolish the country's criminal defamation laws, the Committee to Protect Journalists said...