New York, May 17, 2004—The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) welcomes the release of Fery Santoro, a cameraman for Indonesia’s privately owned Rajawali Citra Televisi (RCTI) television station, on Sunday, May 16.
Santoro was taken hostage by the Free Aceh Movement (known by its Indonesian acronym, GAM) in June 2003 along with RCTI senior reporter Ersa Siregar, their driver, and two Indonesian officers’ wives. The kidnapping occurred after a massive Indonesian military offensive was launched in the war-torn northwest Aceh Province on May 19 to crush the long-running GAM separatist insurgency there.
Following the journalists’ capture, the military and GAM made several attempts to negotiate a release, without success. The journalists’ driver escaped captivity in early December 2003, and the two wives were freed in February. Siregar was shot and killed during a gun battle between Indonesian military forces and the rebels on December 29, 2003.
According to local and international news coverage, Santoro was released on Sunday and handed over to representatives of the International Committee of the Red Cross in the Lhok Juoh area of eastern Aceh. At least 26 other civilian hostages were also freed over the weekend. Their releases were negotiated during several days of talks between military and GAM representatives, as well as representatives of RCTI and the International and Indonesian Red Cross.
Santoro is currently undergoing a medical examination at a hospital in Langsa, a town in eastern Aceh.
"We welcome the release of our colleague Fery Santoro," said CPJ Executive Director Ann Cooper. "CPJ calls on both sides of the Aceh conflict to ensure that journalists can carry out the necessary work of reporting on the region."
Another journalist who was traveling with GAM last year, U.S. freelance reporter William Nessen, was released into military custody only to be detained for questioning for another month before being deported. The Indonesian military has not indicated whether it will detain Santoro after he is released from the hospital.
Several journalists who stayed with GAM during Santoro’s release over the weekend have all returned to Langsa today.
In an alert distributed on May 17, 2004, the CPJ incorrectly stated that U.S. freelance journalist William Nessen had been held by the Free Aceh Movement group GAM in Indonesia’s Aceh Province last year. Nessen was traveling voluntarily with members of GAM in May 2003 when the Indonesian military offensive started.
TV reporters attacked while covering Indonesia protest
February 13, 2017 9:51 AM ET
Bangkok, February 13, 2017--Indonesian authorities should identify and bring to justice those responsible for assaulting two journalists with broadcaster Metro TV at a February 11 demonstration in the capital Jakarta, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today....
Two British journalists convicted in Indonesia over visa violations
November 3, 2015 1:29 PM ET
New York, November 3, 2015--The Committee to Protect Journalists is concerned by the conviction of British filmmakers Neil Bonner and Rebecca Prosser who, according to reports, were sentenced to two and a half month in prison in Indonesia today. The conviction represents a failure of the government to reverse...
Two British filmmakers on trial in Indonesia over visa regulations
October 22, 2015 3:52 PM ET
New York, October 22, 2015--The Committee to Protect Journalists is concerned by the continued detention and trial of two British filmmakers who have been held in Indonesia since May 28. They are being held with the general prison population in a provincial jail in Batam, according to family members....