CPJ seeks an Advocacy Director to set and guide the overall vision and strategy for all advocacy and communications to promote CPJ's mission, profile and effectiveness worldwide. The Advocacy Director will serve as a member of CPJ's senior management team and report to the Executive Director, with a functional reporting line to the Deputy Director. This is an ideal opportunity for a fearless human rights activist to lead the global strategic advocacy and communications efforts for a dynamic organization.
The responsibilities of the Advocacy Director will include:
Advocacy Strategy and Execution
- Oversee all CPJ advocacy efforts.
- Promote a culture of advocacy across the organization, and develop a communications strategy linked to these advocacy goals.
- Develop systems to measure and report the impact of CPJ advocacy strategies.
- Develop and integrate internet advocacy strategies across the organization and all regions.
- Lead and manage CPJ's global communications team to deliver strategic communications aligned with advocacy priorities.
- Ensure editorial and outreach efforts are linked to concrete strategic goals that are determined in consultation with program coordinators and senior management.
- Coordinate major public campaigns linked to press freedom issues.
- Manage the launch of major reports and publications, including "Attacks on the Press."
- Actively manage a communications database to ensure the accurate and effective distribution and delivery of CPJ output.
- With editorial staff, devise and execute plans to enhance CPJ's online presence and increase traffic to its website.
- Devise and execute social media strategies, in coordination with Editorial department, across all program areas and regions.
- Give media interviews and represent CPJ at external meetings, hearings, press conferences and events.
- Organize periodic events linked to advocacy and communications efforts.
- Oversee the stage program and videos at CPJ's high profile annual awards dinner.
Management and Administration
- Manage full-time Communications staff in the United States and part-time staff overseas.
- Develop and manage departmental budget, in collaboration with CPJ's Finance department.
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience, with at least five years' experience in advocacy, marketing, communications or public relations.
- Proven track record in the development and execution of communications plans, campaigns, and materials.
- Passion for CPJ's mission and work.
- Robust knowledge of social media as a content distribution and advocacy tool.
- Familiarity with and interest in the laws and regulations shaping internet expression and participation.
- Good public speaking, presentation, writing, and proofreading skills.
- International work or study experience, and foreign languages skills are strongly preferred.
- Experience conducting high-level communications with institutions and governments preferred.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising personnel required.
- Master's degree in a related field preferred.
The salary for this position will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
New York City or Washington, D.C.
Qualified individuals, please apply: