Blog   |   Afghanistan, Angola, Burma, Cambodia, France, India, Iraq, Mali, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Sierra Leone, Syria

Training can help journalists survive captivity

Two murdered journalists for the Africa service of Radio France Internationale, Ghislaine Dupont, 51, and Claude Verlon, 58, might have had a chance. They were abducted on November 2 in Kidal in northern Mali, but the vehicle their captors were driving suddenly broke down, according to news reports.

The journalists' remains were found near the vehicle. Dupont had been shot twice in the chest, and Verlon three times in the head. They were "coldly assassinated," said French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius. Both were French citizens. The group Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb claimed responsibility for the slayings.

Executing journalists in captivity is, unfortunately, not uncommon. Worldwide, no less than 155 journalists, or more than one in five of the 679 journalists murdered in direct reprisal for their work since 1992 were executed in captivity like Dupont and Verlon, according to CPJ research. A small number of those journalists died from torture or under other circumstances in prison. Both Dupont and Verlon were held only briefly before being killed, but the rest of the murdered journalists were summarily executed some time after being captured.

What can journalists do? Hostile environment courses have long included kidnapping scenarios to help prepare journalists and others for the stress and challenges of captivity, and some courses have evolved over time. My firm teaches avoidance protocols and situational awareness to spot and avoid attacks before they occur. Once an attack is under way, experts disagree about whether to resist the attempted abduction or whether to try and escape later. Much depends upon the captors' possible motivations and goals.

Training can help journalists, humanitarian professionals, and others maintain their equilibrium and stay both calm and alert under stress. That, in turn, can help them stay alive. Captors often take cues from their captives. Projecting confidence without showing disrespect, cooperating without seeming to be servile, can be essential. Reading the command structure and finding opportunities to humanize yourself in the eyes of your captors is also part of any intensive training.

Finding ways to maintain one's dignity, while building a respectful rapport with captors, if possible, can be a useful goal. At other times, of course, one may wish to be the gray man or try to blend in rather than stand out. Learning to practice personal self-care in the aftermath of a traumatic event is also recommended.

Yet even the best training provides no guarantee of safety. Executing journalists after capture is a trend that goes back decades. In the early 1990s, journalists were abducted and later executed reporting on guerrilla wars from Peru to Angola. In later years, captors in Burma, India, and Sierra Leone also executed journalists in cold blood. Capturing and torturing journalists and then killing them became common practice in Iraq through the years following the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

The 2009 Maguindanao massacre in the Philippines remains the worst case. All 57 victims of the massacre, including 32 journalists, were murdered at what appears to have been point blank range with automatic rifles after being intercepted and held by gunmen at least for a short time. Suspects are now facing trial. More recently, over the past year, journalists have been murdered after being abducted in nations as diverse as Syria and Cambodia.

The most notorious abduction-and-murder-case was that of Wall Street Journal correspondent Daniel Pearl in Pakistan in 2002. But the overwhelming majority of reporters executed in captivity are local journalists reporting on events within their own country, people like Hang Serei Odom in Cambodia whose fatally wounded body was found in the trunk of his car in 2012 at a cashew plantation near the Vietnam border. Serei had reported extensively on illegal logging.

The challenge for any captive is to try and stay collected. I know something about this, having been held incommunicado with a colleague for 18 days in Iraq back in 1991, after we heard another colleague and an armed rebel being executed by Iraqi soldiers. The sense of vulnerability is indescribable. The hardest part for any captive to accept may be that he or she has no control over how things will ultimately play out

Keeping fit, if possible, finding constructive ways to exercise one's mind, including observing, in a way that would not attract attention, one's captors and the environs are all steps toward maintaining hope. So is interacting with other captives. No matter what, the emotional toll of captivity may be overwhelming. That can be compounded by one's concerns about the toll the ordeal may be taking on loved ones waiting back home.

"I was despondent and left with only one certainty: We had no savior among the Taliban," wrote David Rhode, the then-New York Times correspondent, who in 2009 managed to escape his captors in Afghanistan and return to his family.

In the case of the two veteran French journalists murdered last week in Mali, investigators are pursuing the theory, according to The Associated Press, that the abductors decided, once their vehicle broke down, that it would be easier to shoot the hostages than bring them along on foot.

Like this article? Support our work

Comments

(2)
Me
To JournAsst@cpj.org
Dec 5 at 8:53 PM
Committee to Protect Journalists
330 7th Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10001
Tel: +1 (212) 465-1004, ext. 114, 118
Fax: +1 (212) 465-9568
Attn: Journalist Assistance Program
E-mail: JournAsst@cpj.org

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Journalist under threat

As a Somali professional journalist; I esteemed it a great privilege to draw your noble attention and put before you my desperate and horrendous plight and humbly urge and appeal to you to kindly intercede on my behalf and recommend me to Protection and Resettlement offices of UNHCR here.

I am a lonely and desperate journalist on a run.

After fleeing from Somalia; the war-torn country due to fear of persecution,

I am, nevertheless, still yet haunted by fear, danger and risk.

That it was following three times in a series wave of threat made through cell phone calls, I have however, received on September 8, 2010 a written emailed note on yet again another threat – the most scarring threat.

The armed perpetrators who were known since 1992 to 2001 to have been quite notorious in looting the refugee camp, raping refugee women and terrorizing refugees, are now on a come back.

Though I quitted and left Hagadera camp for good, I thought I have escaped from the area of the threat and for that I was safe and from threat, risk and danger. I was however wrong for I still encounter real threat in Nairobi.

That after wondering from place to place and starring eyes like a lost sheep while wondering whether I’ll ever escape from the jaws of death, I was interviewed for a possible durable solution by both the Protection and Resettlement offices of UNHCR in Nairobi and anticipated submission of my case for a Resettlement program.

Please see and note the Response letter to my case of threat and the intervention for interview done by the Protection office of UNHCR.

--- On Tue, 5/24/11, Nairobi, Kenya KENNA Protection wrote:

From: Nairobi, Kenya KENNA Protection
Subject: Response to letter
To: abdullahisheikh14@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 5:36 AM
Dear Mr. Abdullahi Sheikh Abdirahman,

Thank you for contacting UNHCR Nairobi. We are writing in response to your letter received by our office on 15 April 2011.

We would like to request your presence in our office on Tuesday, 31 May 2011 for an interview to further clarify the situation as expressed in your letter. You should arrive early to be screened through at the gate. Please confirm that you are available to be interviewed that day.

Kind regards,

Karen Vanderwillik
Protection Delivery Unit
UNHCR Nairobi

Please see as well the following letter of inquiry and follow up of my still Pending and delay case of Resettlement I wrote to UNHCR recently after one year and several months more elapsed since I was interviewed by Resettlement office for a Resettlement program.

To:-
Karen Vanderwillik
Protection Delivery Unit
UNHCR Nairobi

cc: Madam Mica
Resettlement officer
Resettlement office

cc: Mr., Mick
Protection officer,
Protection office
UNHCR Branch office
Nairobi, Kenya

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: F/N: NSOMOM997390/1 C/N: 803-05C01082

I wish to draw your noble attention, re-submit and put before my Alien card's replacement paper.
I am a Somali journalist who after encountering real threat was interviewed on August 28, 2012 for a US Resettlement program.

The Resettlement program has delayed and pending for an year and a couple of months more due to the above replacement document.

For this reason, having issued and gave to the Resettlement office, I look forward for the process of the stated above Resettlement program and would indeed be grateful to receive your kind response and assistance on this case of delay and pending.

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this case.

Yours sincerely
Abdullahi Sheikh Abdirahman
Cell-phone: 0712815033.

And for that, consequently I am a Somali journalist who after encountering real threat was interviewed Resettlement office of UNHCR on August 28, 2012 for a Resettlement program.
It is now more than one year down the road since I was interviewed by UNHCR on August 28, 2012 and still my case pending and delays.

THAT the Resettlement program has delayed and pending for an year and a couple of months more due to Alien card's replacement receipt or document that I have now already couple of months ago re-submitted it to Resettlement of UNHCR and still wait for process.

Since you I have been interviewed by the Resettlement office of UNHCR for a Resettlement program and had submitted o a copy of my case that I have presented to UNHCR, I beg for your recommendation to Protection and Resettlement offices of UNHCR in Nairobi, Kenya.

Having met all the procedure, requirements and prerequisite for a Resettlement program, I beg for your humanitarian assistance and support.

The required or the pre-condition of a Kenyan Refugee ID document testimony, please the following letter and the document below after reading my case in a more detail.

The threat I received for the first time in the refugee camp was precipitated and culminated by my literary work; what I have been doing to promote refugees’ social service work, especially the youth; young men and women in the camps:

Whilst serving Social Service Sector of Care International in Dadaab refugee camps in Kenya, as a community Development Worker and later as an Information Assistant, who campaigned for the good causes pertaining to advocate and promote social harmony, coexistence, peace and human rights and in campaigning for gender rights, rights of girls' education and campaigning against Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) and domestic violence in camps-What's a deplorable and harmful practice experience which needs to be eradicated and stopped I have succeeded to introduce and establish for the first time in Dadaab camps a periodic newsletter:- THE DAWN, THE VOICE OF REFUGEE YOUTH IN DADAAB to communicate what my people do, feel and think.

I have also succeeded to at least train, and empower 30 energetic and ambitious youths on how to run the vehicle of transmitting and exchanging information. I taught them journalism.

Contrary to winning moral and material support; I have, however, incongruously been cursed and blamed by a gang of ignorant and blood thirsty Somali militias.
- That I publicize western tradition, culture and values while defamed and abused what Somali people believe in, stand for and preserve as their ancestral heritage of tradition, culture and customs.
-That my literary works conflicted with Somali tradition, culture and values.
-Instead of advocating, promoting and advertising Somali social heritage I contrary advertise and preached social and moral decay, ill-conceived values and abuse.
-That I also violated the tight lipped attitude and wisdom of silence imposed against media sector and its practitioners by the unlettered and short sighted Somali camel-boys turn- militia gunmen.

And for that I was accused and judged as a traitor and betrayer of his country and people—a criminal who deserves a severe punishment.

I was ordered to stop spreading Western philosophy and sociology. Though the order coincided with when I left Care as result of Care Agency terminating its social service workers because of shortage of funds, hence I lost my job, and I could otherwise be in a dilemma on what to do. Alas! A Jobless, situation and a threat to my life, what a painstaking experience.

Such were the allegation phoned to me on a cell phone number 0713439089 by unknown Somali's self imposed–liberator man who sounded to be waging terrorism war in and out of Somalia.

My case of threat and the kidnap of a refugee man in Ifo in Dadaab camps are the example of the danger the innocent refugees face.

I couldn’t think of anything else or better than run from the refugee camp. I escaped from the camp in the Northeastern Kenya to Nairobi silently without blowing the whistle which could have drawn the attention of the police having been strictly warned.

I was, however, shocked and scared to death in receiving another call by a different figure and cell phone number 0715244711 ordering me to pack up and return back home so to serve unnamed group which I suspected to be Al-shabab militia gang as a translator and writer if I was to be pardon for what they termed as an act of transgression.

With my heart pounding like a sledge hammer, I reported to the police: OB 16/27/11/2009 AT 9HRS AT CALAFORNIA PATROL POLICE BASE IN EASTLEIGH IN NAIROBI.

I took to run again to Kakuma camp located near Kenya-Sudan border only to receive the ‘go home order’ which carried a death threat should I fail to pay heed.

No sooner than I arrived in Kakuma, I was called through a hidden mobile number by the pursuing perpetrators who asked me whether I'm still on a mission in Kakuma camp charged with creating conflict of culture and abuse. I abruptly answered no. After a short pause, the deadly caller gave me the ‘Return back home order or face death’.

I was further instructed to contact Mr. Jama Duale Warfa, a well known merchant man with a shop and a restaurant at Dobley, a tiny town in southern Somalia near Kenya-Somalia border.

Whilst I wonder whether I can ever escape from the open jaws of death, ever since the collapse of the Somali Government until today, I have been unable to piece together the puzzle my life has become.

My fate must have gone slack. For I have never ever known anything else or better than worsening situation of bad into worst experience. This is simply because I belong to the so-called the 'Inferior' social class minority Tumal clan.

At a time when more than 60 journalists killed in Somalia, at least 12 of them were foreign. The elaborate killings of Somali and foreign journalists and kidnaps, disappearance and maiming and exiles have not merely doubled and increased but have never abated.

In consideration of a life of a victimized journalist under threat because of the good service he did for his people in refuge and at home and in virtue of his ancestral lineage and in the name of journalism, I am begging for protection and save-heaven.

In reminiscent of www.cpj.org’s generosity, protect journalists and save the world of media and its practitioners, I believe that I’ll be saved and a durable solution found.

By reminding us courage, hope, compassion, honor and a life worth living many journalists and refugees at large who live under threat would be saved by CJP.

For the first time since the total collapse of the Somali Government in early 199, I am, somewhat, rather calm and hopeful, that out of chaos, armed violence and despair and that following series wave of threats, terror and fear and uncertainty, may well now arise new hope and a change- a change of the bad and terrifying experience into good.

And from within Somalia; a hot-spot country whereby gun men, gang war and gun rule become the order of the day in the war-torn country - the bath of bloodbath, bloodletting and pitting one another in a series and what seems endless clashes, conflicts and confrontations and loggerheads in the open air gun fire arena and battle ground in what’s little over two decades long span down the road, i think and believe it is a high time now to break away with past apathy, despondency and menace and mayhem, distress and shocking images of entire community and nation of a failure state to at last realize from the ashes of ruin to accommodate, usher and treat and entertain a whole new change and experience and a life worth living in peace, stability and honor.

Writing of this appeal is therefore neither done accidental nor intended for idle spot. It embraced a motivation to candidly elaborate, reveal and expose, urge to win sympathy, support and generosity and international solidarity and patriotic urge in the face of steadfast killers who otherwise will kill one journalist after the other or another.

I am, therefore kindly appealing for CJP to intercede in my case, help and support me realizing the on-going, pending and delays of my Resettlement program and case.

Will you leave me go by the drain so helpless? I hope not.
Yours Sincerely

From: Abdullahi abdirahman
Date: Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Subject: Fwd: file
To: Kenya KENNA ProtectionNairobi

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: F/N: NSOMOM997390/1 C/N: 803-05C01082

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this case.

Yours sincerely

From: Abdullahi abdirahman
Date: Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Subject: Fwd: file
To: Kenya KENNA ProtectionNairobi

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: F/N: NSOMOM997390/1 C/N: 803-05C01082

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this case.

Yours sincerely
Abdullahi Sheikh Abdirahman
Cell-phone: 0712815033.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Journalist under threat

I am a lonely and desperate journalist on a run.

After fleeing from Somalia; the war-torn country due to fear of persecution,

I am, nevertheless, still yet haunted by fear, danger and risk.

--- On Tue, 5/24/11, Nairobi, Kenya KENNA Protection wrote:

Protection officer,
Protection office
UNHCR Branch office
Nairobi, Kenya

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: F/N: NSOMOM997390/1 C/N: 803-05C01082

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this case.

Yours sincerely
Abdullahi Sheikh Abdirahman
Cell-phone: 0712815033.

-That my literary works conflicted with Somali tradition, culture and values.

In reminiscent of Assistance 2@isf.org ’s generosity, protect journalists and save the world of media and its practitioners, I believe that I’ll be saved and a durable solution found.

By reminding us courage, hope, compassion, honor and a life worth living many journalists and refugees at large who live under threat would be saved by Assistance 2@isf.org .

I am, therefore kindly appealing for Assistance 2@isf.org to intercede in my case, help and support me realizing the on-going, pending and delays of my Resettlement program and case.

Will you leave me go by the drain so helpless? I hope not.
Yours Sincerely

From: Abdullahi abdirahman
Date: Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Subject: Fwd: file
To: Kenya KENNA ProtectionNairobi

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: F/N: NSOMOM997390/1 C/N: 803-05C01082

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this case.

Yours sincerely

From: Abdullahi abdirahman
Date: Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Subject: Fwd: file
To: Kenya KENNA ProtectionNairobi

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: F/N: NSOMOM997390/1 C/N: 803-05C01082

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this case.

Yours sincerely
Abdullahi Sheikh Abdirahman
Cell-phone: 0712815033.

Abdullahi Sheikh Abdirahman December 5, 2013 6:16:44 PM ET

in Baluchistan the reporters of media are working free of cast (with out any salary) and also they have threat from many objects mean from political, tribal,Religious,libation parties and Government agencies and dozens were killed .
and they also Don't Have training for Reporting. there for the freedom of journalism is banned

Mukhtiar Ahmed Qadri December 11, 2013 11:03:13 AM ET