Honduras

2010

Alerts   |   Honduras

Honduran journalist flees the country after attacks

New York, April 1, 2010—Honduran journalist José Alemán fled the country on Sunday after threatening attacks, including the break-in of two unidentified gunmen at his home in the rural municipality of San Marcos de Ocotepeque, near the border with El Salvador, the local press reported. The Committee to Protect Journalists called today for Honduran authorities to provide protection for Alemán that would allow him to return to the country and continue his work.

April 1, 2010 5:11 PM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Honduras

In Honduras, a wave of deadly violence against media

A police officer conducts surveillance during a crime-fighting operation in Tegucigalpa. (AP/Eduardo Verdugo)

New York, March 29, 2010—The Committee to Protect Journalists urges Honduran authorities to fully investigate last week’s murders of two journalists, part of a month-long wave of lethal violence that has resulted in the slayings of five reporters over all and led to widespread self-censorship in the local media.

March 29, 2010 3:52 PM ET

Tags:

Statements   |   Honduras

Two journalists gunned down in Honduras

We issued the following statement today in response to the murder of Honduran journalists Bayardo Mairena and Manuel Juárez, who were shot by unidentified gunmen aboard a vehicle, in the department of Olancho in eastern Honduras, according to local press reports...

March 26, 2010 4:20 PM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Honduras

Third Honduran journalist gunned down in two weeks

New York, March 16, 2010— Unidentified attackers gunned down Honduran journalist Nahúm Palacios Arteaga in the city of Tocoa on Sunday, the third deadly attack against the Honduran press in the last two weeks, according to news reports. Honduran authorities must put an end to the wave of deadly violence and ensure that the killers are punished, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today.

March 16, 2010 5:22 PM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Honduras

Honduran radio reporter gunned down

Photo: Diario Tiempo

New York, March 12, 2010—Unidentified gunmen killed radio journalist David Meza Montesinos on Thursday as he was driving in the Honduran city of La Ceiba, local press reports said. The Committee to Protect Journalists urged authorities today to fully investigate Meza’s killing and bring those responsible to justice.

March 12, 2010 4:01 PM ET

Tags:

Alerts   |   Honduras

Journalist killed, another wounded in Honduras shooting

Cabrera (La Tribuna)

New York, March 5, 2010—Honduran authorities must investigate a shooting of two journalists on Monday, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Unidentified gunmen in the capital, Tegucigalpa, killed a reporter and seriously wounded a colleague, according to local reports.

Joseph Hernández Ochoa, who hosted an entertainment program on TV station Channel 51, was driving his colleague Karol Cabrera home around 8 p.m. when two unidentified gunmen in a car shot at them in a Tegucigalpa neighborhood known as El Chile, the Honduran press reported.

Attacks on the Press   |   Honduras

Attacks on the Press 2009: Honduras

Top Developments
• Coup damages press freedom, reveals partisan media divide.
• Supporters of both sides in the conflict wage attacks on the press.

Key Statistic
22: Days that Radio Globo and Canal 36 were off the air due to government censorship.


The June coup that ousted President Manuel Zelaya, along with the bitter stalemate that ensued, damaged press freedom in Honduras and heightened partisan divisions in the news media. An interim government cracked down on news coverage and withstood intense international pressure until a scheduled November presidential election brought Porfirio “Pepe” Lobo, a conservative businessman, to office. As Lobo pledged reconciliation, Zelaya decried the vote as tainted.

February 16, 2010 12:34 AM ET

2010

Pages: 1 2 or all
« Previous Page  
« 2009 | 2011 »